Monday, August 17, 2009

Wordsmiths

If you're a wordsmith of any type (writer, speaker, preacher, teacher, worship leader, song writer, mentor . . . blogger), I've prayed for you today.

We may call our well-crafted words our profession, our calling, or our hobby. But if "anyone" else reads them, they're also our responsibility. James 3:1 tells us that, "Not many of you should presume to be teachers . . . because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly." That scares me a bit, but I "do" feel called, so I need to trust God and remain dependent on Him.

When I pray for other wordsmiths and myself, I pray 2 Timothy 2:15 emphasizing the last few words. I ask God to help us "correctly teach the word of truth." On the flip side, I find this Scripture: "But avoid foolish debates, genealogies, quarrels, and disputes about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless." What do you do if someone is not handling God's truths correctly?

"God assured me," writes Beth Moore in "One And Only" (p.229), "that I will always make mistakes, but they will serve as reminders to my readers never to think more highly of their leader than they ought."

What do you think of Beth's quote? This will be one of my consistent questions and a main focus of my blog. Men and women say some pretty incredible things, but . . . does Scripture support them? Do any Scriptures come to mind when you read Beth's words?

Enjoy the Lord today. He enjoys you.
Evergrowing, Lonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment