Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Anchors or Rudders?

“You cannot change the past, but the past can change you; either for better or for worse . . . the past can be a rudder that guides you or an anchor that hinders you.”
Warren Wiersbe


Make a list of events and circumstances throughout your life. Then mark each one with A for anchor or R for rudder. You will see where God has already worked and where work still needs to be done.

My list might include: living on welfare, rejected articles, date rape, death of parents, spiritual abuse, not going to college or being able to send my children to college.

Your list will include different things: maybe child abuse or divorce; maybe alcoholism or a demotion; maybe job loss or foreclosure.

Allow me to highlight one of my experiences that has been both an anchor and a rudder. Welfare checks, low income housing and food stamps trashed my self-esteem, ended some relationships and prevented others. It certainly made self-pity the Lord of my life.

Once out of welfare, fear of that trial being repeated sat like a wrecking ball in my heart. I, at times, feared acknowledging a blessing or provision for fear that the very claiming of it would cause me to lose it.

On the other hand -- I've grown in compassion. I've come to enjoy gentle and intimate walks with God along man-made paths in the midst of God-made beauty. I've learned to "use" coupons, not let them use me to buy what I don't need. I'm relearning generosity, gratitude, and though slowly, I'm learning how to dream . . . to expect that God still has good (maybe even exciting) plans for my life.

Does Warren Wiersbe's quote from Chapter by Chapter (page 258) line up with God's Word? I think so. Joseph is an obvious example.

"And now don't be worried or angry with yourselves for selling me here, because God sent me ahead of you to preserve life . . . to establish you as a remnant within the land and to keep you alive by a great deliverance." (Genesis 45:4-7 CSB)

Sorry for taking the easy one, but can you cite any other examples? If so, please share.

God, the miracle worker and heart changer, can turn any anchor into a rudder.

Being Changed By Him,
Lonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment