Saturday, February 5, 2011

Profanity

Please allow me a 15 second vent, then share your thoughts with me.

What in the world is professional about four-letter words? Three sentences into a book (on happiness mind you) I ran across the f-word.

Sometime back, I picked up a book by a 4-star General that I'd admired. One of his chapter titles included profanity. Good thing we don't pay for library books, or I'd be venting even more.

A volunteer at my library requested a book that we both thought would be fun. She said the story was cute but she returned the book. Too many untasty words. Why?

Used like "and" the f-word seems to have become a conjunction, required to maintain some sort of ugly unity in a book.

What is it that makes authors think they can dazzle readers with offensive language? Or have we grown so dull that it doesn't offend anymore?

A Little Crabby Today,
Lonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment