Thursday, February 17, 2011

Hororscopes?

"We're going to start our meeting with some fun! We're going to look at our zodiac signs!"

Whoa God! Where do I go with "that?"

The meeting included about 10 people seated in a circle. Besides under the table, there was no place to hide.

This was prefaced with, "We don't believe in this; it's just for fun." Those are the very words I excused myself with in my B.C. days. And yet -- I let my horoscope (or Quija board, or tea leaves) affect my mood. Horoscopes raised or lowered my hope quotient. So what was it I didn't believe?

I learned early on, in my Christian walk, that these things (see Deuteronomy 18:14) displeased God. Honestly, future telling and personality casting were hard to give up. I wanted to know that I was of value and I wanted to know that my future held marriage and other good things.

But my value is in this:

Jesus died for me.

I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

I am God's workmanship . . . created for good works that He's planned, in advance, for me to do. (I have purpose.)

Jeremiah 29:11 tells me that God knows the plans He has for me -- that I might have a future and a hope.

God, sometimes, I look at my life and think that I have barely left the starting block in my Christian race. But here is one area where You have moved mightily. Thank you.

When my turn came, to share what my zodiac sign was, I said, "I pass." No drama, no sermon, but I believe it is what I was to do -- remain faithful to God's Word.

Share a similar work experience or share something that God has brought you out of.

Growing in faithfulness,
Growing in courage,
Because He enables me to do so,
Lonnie

See: Romans 5:8
Psalm 139: 13-18
Ephesians 2:10
Jeremiah 29: 11

No comments:

Post a Comment