Monday, February 7, 2011

Fiction Is Not Always Frivolous

I was teased, growing up, because every book I read had a nurse in it. As I think back, I'm guessing those books were Harlequin romances. That tease may have seemed unkind, but it changed my life. I began trying to read more meaningful books. It wasn't an easy transition, as I'm not the intellectual type. But I did find great joy in biographies and later in antique history books.

Dad, too, talked about how ridiculous novels were because they weren't true. In his last years, he discovered historical fiction and enjoyed it tremendously.

For the most part, I'm still stuck in non-fiction because it's what I "choose" not because I worry about what anyone thinks. However, I occasionally find myself in need of a story -- one that pulls me along to the last page. Plus, I've discovered that fiction is not so frivolous; it has much to teach and often, it's a great way to share the Lord and current issues.

Here's a clip from a recent novel. I'd love your thoughts as the issue is something that's been on my back burner for a couple years. When I vote, similar thoughts play tag in my mind.

(Takes place during fights for Prohibition and Women's Right to Vote) Grandma Bebe fought for Prohibition. The following is a discussion with her grand-daughter, Harriet. (Though Waters Roar by Lynn Austin/Bethany House Publishers 2009, p. 424-5)

"You're right, I have worked hard to make certain that alcohol was banned. I've devoted my entire life to temperance because I saw how much pain and suffering alcohol caused. But you know what? Every day now I read in the paper about the crime spree that Prohibition caused, and I wonder if I've been fighting the wrong battle all these years."

"What do you mean?"

"Jesus' harshest words were for the moral guardians of His day--the Pharisees. They wanted to dictate morality, too, but Jesus called them hypocrites whitewashed tombs. It isn't our calling as Christians to write laws that force people to live moral lives . . . that's our calling--to bring people to Christ--not to force them to behave the way we want them to or to solve all their external problems."

What do you think? Do we need to campaign? Or pray? Or both? Has God given individuals different calls to cover both sides of the coin? What does God's Word say?

Anxious to Hear Your Thoughts,
Lonnie

Check out lynnaustin.org for more about this cool author and upcoming books.

No comments:

Post a Comment