Friday, April 1, 2011

My Books Are Noisy

"in this modern age people seem to find it difficult to sit quietly for long. They must have a radio blaring or something else to drown the silence."

"The quiet time," writes Selwyn Hughes, "is where the soul grows receptive."

I want to be receptive -- to God's directions, His conviction, His comfort, His companionship. So, I determined to plan at least 10 minutes of quiet time into my days. Mind you, I consider it a fast when I leave the radio off driving five miles to and from work.

My First Attempt Failed! A coffee shop with dark roast and a fire. Hmmm. I could just sit, entertain silence, listen for God, and enjoy. Right? I lasted One Minute! That's when I found out that my books are noisy. They interrupt my silence.

I am a self-proclaimed Book Hog. If I must sit, and I can't have t.v. or music, then I MUST have a book, magazine -- something! When my husband and I eat out (McD's or Applebees; it doesn't matter) I take a book along. No, I'm not so rude as to read during our "date." But . . . if he goes to the bathroom, I pull out my reading material. And, oh, when I walk nature paths, I take a book or Bible and a pencil and notecards. You never know; bird song, waves lapping against the shore, and immeasurable beauty might not hold my attention for an hour. Good grief! Apparently silence and I have a couple issues.

"Our lives," writes Anne Graham Lotz, "can be like that radio dial. We can be so jammed with signals coming from every direction that even when we tune in to the voice of God, He can be drowned out by other voices crowding in. If we are to hear Him clearly and loudly, there must be times of quietness built into our daily lives."

God created me with an insatiable desire to learn and with a love of discovery. He understands. But . . . the story is yours from here. What do you think? Are "quiet" times important? Are "your" books noisy? How are "you" at sitting still?

I suspect I'm missing some peace, joy and incredible blessings by not taking a few minutes each day to just "hang out with God." What do you think? Any suggestions for pulling it off?

About to try 5 minutes,
Lonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment