Saturday, April 30, 2011

Book Hog Fasts From Books

Challenged by Ruth Graham to compare the time I spent reading God's Word to the time I spent reading books, I took a day to fast from books. That's no small challenge for a book hog. I intentionally chose my day off. Fasting any other day would be like giving up iceberg lettuce for lent . . . not much sacrifice, and offering few benefits.

I hung out with Jeremiah for the day. With 3 translations available, I could read any or all, but no commentaries. In Jeremiah? What was I thinking? What I found profoundly interesting was how many times I ran across verses like, "The Word of the Lord has become a reproach to them -- they have not listened to My Words -- they rejected the Word of the Lord."

I could sigh with relief because "I," indeed was making a concerted effort to be in God's Word . . .

Or . . .

I could receive the conviction due me: Lonnie, it's not just about spending more "time" reading Scripture. Time speaks of priority.

As I ponder my day of fasting and ponder Jeremiah's words, I realize that priority isn't all about clock-time. It isn't about how long I read or how much I read of God's Word. That does little more than give birth to pride and self-righteousness.

Priority also speaks of heart-time. I wondered what that looked like. Asking myself, "Why?" helped me to see. Why should I spend more time in God's Word? The beginning of my list looks like this:

To know God
To understand His expectations and promises
To keep my armor in functioning condition -- to counteract the lies and discouragement that the world hands me every day
For comfort -- to realize that I'm not alone. Paul tells us that any temptation we face is common to man
To see how God deals with sin
To discover how God blesses the obedient
To know what's coming

Spending time in God's Word is a way to commune with Him. It's a place and time to feel His heart; to receive His instruction and encouragement.

Not unlike a retired smoker who misses his cigarette after a meal, I missed "my books" at bedtime. I told myself that I'd done well and that reading a book before going to sleep would be no big deal. Then I caught this verse running through my head: "Could you not keep watch with me for one hour? (Matt. 26:40 NIV)" I know there is no real connection, but it got my attention.

Good grief. I've made it through the day. What's 10 or 20 minutes more? I put my book down and picked up Jeremiah. And . . . the next night, I picked up Jeremiah again. I've, since, found myself reading Jeremiah during some of my breaks. God had whet my appetite and it felt good. He'd raised my curiosity. That felt good, too. He is working. I want to cooperate.

I'm considering a weekly fast, a day to read only God's Word. David tells us in the Psalms that God's Word is a lamp unto his feet and a light unto his path. May it be so for me. May God's Word become such a natural part of my thoughts, that It guides me step by step by step.

What part does God's Word play in your life? What could you add to my list? Have you fasted from books? From T.V.? The internet? Share your experience.

Loving God; Loving His Word,
Lonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment