Monday, May 30, 2011

Glory and Compliments to Whom?

"Is it possible for us to do incredible things for the kingdom yet have people give the glory to God rather than to us? Has this ever happened to you? Or do people praise you for your good works?

"When the Holy Spirit truly moves, God is the one praised."


This quote from Francis Chan takes me back to my first years as a Christian, and yet travels across 40 years to today.

In my early twenties, I read, "Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 5:16 KJV) With all the enthusiasm of a new Christian, who wanted everyone to know the Lord, I began to engage in good works. It wasn't until years later that I realized I'd missed half the verse . . . the most important half. Being thoughtful and generous might cause people to think well of me. But without the light, they wouldn't see God. It was unlikely that anyone would come to a saving knowledge of the Lord.

I began to let the presence of Jesus show in my life. I used words like God, prayer, church or blessing. If friends, family, or co-workers saw peace, hope, or generosity in my life, I wanted them to know Who the source was.

I've since become a writer. Editors hold certain requirements for writers who desire to be published. Should I 'desire' to be published, or is that pride? The audience of a magazine is more than I, alone, could encourage to seek God or read their Bible. But . . . do you see the conflict? How do I pursue excellence without slipping into pride? How do I accept the gift without accepting the glory and compliments along with it? How does a pastor, teacher, worship leader, or Christian musician?

My only solution, so far, is to pray for dependence on God.

An editor, who had accepted one of my stories, asked me to consider a list of stories she still needed written. I was so honored! It felt like a confirmation of my calling to write. I was excited -- and scared. What if I disappointed her? What if she sent the dreaded rejection? Would she ever ask again?

I had to put it all in God's hands. I had to trust He would help me write. I had to trust that a rejection from an editor was not a recall of the gift God had given me. Dependence would be a constant reminder of where the glory belonged, but I hated it! I hated reaching that point in my story when I didn't think it was possible for the pieces to come together. I hated rereading and rewriting and thinking it was the dumbest idea, dumbest story ever. I'd tell God, "I can do this with you. I cannot do it without You. Please help me to go forward or help me to lay it down."

I had four stories accepted that year. Sometimes, the editors printed it just as I sent it. Other times, they changed fairly large portions. One time, they totally rejected the story. Their reasons were absolutely right.

In all honesty, I read some of my published articles and stories, only to check my original copy. Sometimes, I can't believe I wrote them. And, while I enjoy the compliments and praise of men, I love that Almighty God has used my hand to reach others.

I continue to pray for myself and other wordsmiths: "God help us pursue excellence without slipping into pride."

What has God called "you" to do? What do you do to make sure you have enough encouragement to go on and yet still allow God to receive all the glory due Him?

Still Growing. How about you?
Lonnie

* Forgotten God
by Francis Chan and Danae Yankowski
David C. Cook, 2009
p.87

No comments:

Post a Comment