Saturday, May 21, 2011

Weary Conscience

"A gardener who works in an evangelical conference center tells how, during the first two or three days of a conference, Christians are keen to obey the signs that say, 'Do not drop litter.' They go out of their way to carry unwanted paper to the litter bins. After four or five days have passed, however, he finds that people get tired of looking for the bins and hide their unwanted paper under the bushes. They have enough conscience to hide the paper, but not enough to get rid of it." *

OUCH!

I can't help but think of a night in my retail days. Two clerks to watch three shop-lifters created a challenge. One young girl engaged my co-worker in looking at jewelry pieces in a glass case. Two other preteens took off in different directions. I tailed one, until she turned and asked, "Are you following me?"

"Experience tells me I need to."

"Experience? Who's that?" :-)

The young girl knew she was doing something wrong or she wouldn't have checked behind her to see who was watching. She had apparently been told that stealing was wrong. I wonder how many times.

I wonder how many times we've been told via God's Word, a sermon, a friend, or someone in leadership that we need to take care in what we watch, read, eat, do, or talk about. I Timothy 4:1 speaks of a seared conscience, one that's been rendered ineffective or disabled. If I were to paraphrase, I'd define a seared conscience as one that's been persistent to a point of weariness and finally given up. But who wants to be hassled by persistent conviction?

When I'm angry and enjoying my anger, or when I'm prone to entertain bitterness rather than forgive . . . when returning hurt for hurt seems the "right" way to go, one thing and only one thing edges me toward repentance.

I need God.

His Word says that He doesn't hear our prayers when we regard wickedness in our heart (Psalm 66:18). While the priveledge of prayer is important, missing fellowship with God is painful. I, soon, grow lonely for Him.

For that reason, I'll accept the persistent conscience or, more accurately, the ministry of the Holy Spirit. For He not only convicts, He gives the grace needed to overcome the sin that so easily entangles us (Hebrews 12:1). A good jump-start for a weary conscience is God's Word. Although we need it "before the fact." We need regular time in His Word and instead of hiding sin, we need to hide Bible verses in our heart; ones that address frequent temptations. Another tremendous help is a friend who risks telling us that they recognize pride, self-pity, or covetousness in our life. Is there someone you can invite to do so?

We need to remind ourselves that God's conviction is always wrapped in love. If it feels like worthlessness, hopelessness, or condemnation, that is not God. That's Satan. He is the accuser of the Brethren, of Christians. (Revelations 12:10) Satan's motivation is to kill, steal, and destroy. God's motivation is to restore . . . health to our lives, and intimacy in our relationship with Him.

"The one who conceals his sins will not prosper, but he whoever confesses and renounces them will find mercy." Proverbs 28:13 CSB

The more paper you hide under a bush, the more likely it will become visable to every passer-by. The more sin we hide, well . . . I suspect the same thing happens.

Sometimes Growing . . . Just Isn't Fun!
Lonnie




* Water For The Soul
by Selwyn Huges
Broadman and Holman 1998

No comments:

Post a Comment