Monday, January 3, 2011

Lost Hope

When I and my husband were bulldozed by some physical and financial challenges, I lost hope. I didn't know how we'd get through the next month, let alone the rest of our lives.

I searched for books about people who had survived worse situations. Could anyone have suffered more than those who endured the Holocaust? The books I read helped me to see that my problems were minor in comparison; yet, I didn't find testimonies of how faith had carried anyone through. I did come to the conclusion that no matter how difficult circumstances were, they were temporary. Mind you, I did not equate short-lived with temporary. Poverty, or worse, could last for years! I reminded myself that, how ever long our trials lasted, they would be short compared to eternity. And I'd spend eternity in heaven.

This last week found me sick with no energy, yet with time to read. I read my first novel in a decade. I enjoyed it way too much: no sticky tabs to mark facts and anecdotes and no notes to write.

Funny, this library book that, I had figured I would do little more than scan, took place during World War II and the Holocaust. It was the book I'd looked for so long ago.

Jacob and his wife, faithful Jews, moved to America to escape persecution. It didn't work. Jews were hated in the U.S. too. Their son, Avraham, did not immigrate with them. The radio and newspapers told of the horrible genocide going on, so when communication ended between Jacob and Avrahm, Jacob worried. Were his son and family still alive?

Then Jacob's wife was hit and killed by a car. Jacob lost hope. He no longer believed in Hashem. What God would allow such tragedy and suffering?

Later, Jacob shared the story of Esther with two young neighbors whose mother had died in the same accident as his wife. His faith began to return. He told the children that though God wasn't mentioned in the book of Esther, He was obviously at work. From then on Jacob comforted himself and others with this truth: "We may not see God, but He is working for our good." Jacob, who had felt his prayers were being ignored, realized that they were incredibly answered but different than he'd expected.

Though Jacob received no letters, his son had been writing them and leaving them with trusted people. Avraham reasoned that when the war was over, at least Jacob would know what had happened. In one letter Avraham wrote, "I have asked the rabbi why our people are experiencing this great suffering. Was it from some great sin we have committed? What have we done to bring this upon ourselves? He believes that it is not because of sin that we are persecuted but because of the Torah. The Hamans of this world want to wipe out all memory of our people and of our covenant with Hashem, as well as all memory of His Law so that evil can flourish unfetterered." (While We're Far Apart by Lynn Austin p. 144)

What do you think? Does Scripture support the rabbi's beliefs? Have you, looking in life's rearview mirror, discovered that God, though invisible, has indeed been involved and answering prayers? If so, please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment