Thursday, January 6, 2011

Good News Bad News

Our dining room includes a cabinet where we "used" to keep cereal. Now it houses my Bible(s), dictionaries, and commentaries. Though I struggle most mornings to get up before anyone else to have a quiet time, I love Bible study! However . . . Good news, bad news.

Good News: God likes that I enjoy Bible Study
Bad News: He'd like me to do what His Word says.

I understand why. You do too. But sometimes a simple analogy (and a touch of humor) works as a great memory prompt. Here are a couple that struck me, this week, as I read James.
* I've read 4 diet books and haven't lost a pound!
* (Teen) "Why do I have to take a written test AND a driver's test?
* Beauticians, doctors, nurses, and blood drawing lab technicians are all required to take written tests AND hands-on tests. Aren't you glad?

"So my people come to you in crowds, sit in front of you, and hear your words, but they don't obey them. Although they express love with their mouths, their hearts pursue unjust gain. Indeed, to them you are nothing more than one who sings love songs with a beautiful voice and plays an instrument well, for they hear your words but do not put them into practice." Ezekiel 33:31-32

"But be doers of the word and not hearers only . . ." James 1:22

What is harder for you? To "do" what God's Word says to do? (ex: love your enemy) Or to not do what God's Word says not to do? (ex: do not steal, lie, covet etc)

As a friend reminded me this morning, we cannot be doers of God's Word in our own strength, or by our own will power. "Help" is one prayer God always answers.

Enjoy the Lord today. He enjoys YOU.
Lonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment