Thursday, January 20, 2011

Caught Again!

Me,impulsive? And in need of an attitude adjustment?

Oops! Caught Again!

How could I turn down, "Buy one book and get the second one half off?" Both books were about gratitude and I needed a booster shot, or at least a fresh conviction. But I reached home and knew I'd been impulsive. I requested both books from the library and returned my purchases.

My requests arrived this week. Just reading them has made me grateful -- grateful that I didn't buy them.

How did I miss one author calling her husband a disgusting name -- in the very first chapter? Bad words and attitudes stick to me like sand-burrs to socks. I returned the book and began to read the second one. At a glance, several pages were sprinkled with the word blessing. "Neat," I thought, "a Christian perspective."

HEAR ME. I DON'T BELIEVE CHRISTIANS HAVE CORNERED THE MARKET ON GOOD AND WISE. That, in fact, is one reason for this blog post.

The second book on gratitude did, indeed, use the word blessing frequently -- along with chanting and Eastern meditation. The compilation consists of people sharing how an attitude of gratitude has given them energy to get through severe illnesses, addictions, and some really tough stuff. I may continue to read, but selectively. I can skip chapters that don't line up with God's Word. But I have 2 concerns:

1. What about people who don't skip and get sucked into false teaching? Just because someone says something incredibly wise, we can't assume everything he says is as wise. If someone tells us to be at peace with all men, good. God's Word says that as much as possible be at peace with all men. If the same author (friend, pastor, TV personality) tells you there are many gods and many ways to heaven, be aware: Our Creator God says differently. **

2. My second concern -- Christians. How are we doing? Yes, I thank God before most meals. And I thank Him for a warm house and a reliable car. But can I really say I have an "attitude" of thanksgiving? If someone planted a bug in my home, workplace, (get ready for an Ouch!) or my favorite places of prayer, what would they hear? Would gratitude be tackling complaints, or the other way around?

I stand convicted! Mom used to say, "If the shoe fits, wear it." How's your shoe fitting?

If you read this blog regularly, or occasionally, please use the comment field every now and then to ask me, "Lonnie, how's your attitude of gratitude?"

Ever Growing,
Lonnie

** "And it shall be, that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved." Acts 2:21

** "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12

No comments:

Post a Comment