Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Old Writers' Trick

Sometimes using Bible studies for my quiet times frustrates more than helps. I don't understand the author's question, let alone know how to answer it. And I wonder, if the point she is trying to make is important, why I can't get it. How does feeling dumb help me connect to, or feel closer to God? It doesn't.

Other times, I choose a book of the Bible to read from beginning to end. In doing so, I encounter nations far from my familiarity or people whose names I can't pronounce. And then, some Bible characters have 2 names. One day they are Jacob, another day Israel. One day Saul and the next day Paul. And isn't Saul the king that was trying to kill David? And isn't Paul my brother?

It feels like I'm trying to untangle a skein of yarn that's been through the spin cylce. HELP!

The last couple mornings, I've been in one of those places. This morning, I rejoiced to read questions that seemed to require straight-forward answers, and others that seemed to actually apply to my life.

So . . .

I determined to try an old writers' trick. I saved them.

Writers often sit down at their computer only to be overwhelmed with a blank screen. Where do I start? What was it I wanted to say? It's so easy to give up and walk away. But books and articles don't get written that way.

What some do is to stop mid-sentence the day before, or mid-paragraph, or in the middle of intense action. When they sit down the next day, they only need to continue.

This morning, I stopped at a question that I'll enjoy thinking about tomorrow. When I sit down, I won't face the "dumber than a bucket of rocks" feeling.

How do you get past boring? Difficult? Tired?
Share with the rest of us.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Lonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment